A Single Man (2009)
Director: Tom Ford
Writers: Christopher Isherwood (novel), Tom Ford (written for the screen by), David Scearce
Duration: 99 min
Stars: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode
A Single Man je dramski film iz 2009. godine snimljen prema istoimenom romanu Christophera Isherwooda. Film je rediteljski prvjenac modnog dizajnera, Toma Forda, koji je film lično finansirao. Glavnu ulogu, ulogu Georga Falconera, britanskog gej univerzitetskog profesora, igra Colin Firth, za šta je bio nominovan za nagradu Oscar. Film stavlja naglasak na kostime i arhitekturu 1960-ih, a dizajn je radio isti tim koji radi za seriju Mad Men.
Svetsku premijeru film je imao septembra, 2009. na Festivalu u Veneciji, a zatim je nastavio da obilazi filmske festivale. Nakon Filmskog festivala u Torontu kompanija Weinstein je uzela film za distribuciju po SAD i Nemačkoj. Prvo ograničeno prikazivanje je bilo planirano za decembar 2009, kako bi se film kvalifikovao za dodelu Osacara.
Radnja filma se dešava u Los Angelesu, 30. novembra, 1962, mesec dana nakon Kubanske raketne krize. George Falconer (Colin Firth), sredovečni univerzitetski profesor književnosti, pokušava da nađe smisao života nakon što je njegov partner Jim (Matthew Goode), sa kojim je proveo 16 godina, poginuo u saobraćajnoj nesreći osam meseci ranije. Jimova porodica nije odobravala njihovu vezu i George nije mogao da prisustvuje sahrani.
Tokom ovog jednog dana, praćeno naracijom glavnog lika, George ne može da pobjegne od prošlosti, prikazane u flashbackovima, i u prazboj budućnosti, dok se priprema za samoubistvo koje planira da izvrši te večeri. Obavljajući finalne pripreme, dan provodi sa različitim ljudima, koji primećuju da je tužniji nego obično. Tu su Carlos (Jon Kortajarena), španski imigrant i žigolo koji želi da postane glumac; njegova najbolja prijateljica, Charley (Julianne Moore), koju poznaje još iz Engleske i koja je i dalje zaljubljena u njega, uprkos njegovoj seksualnoj orijentaciji i njegov student, Kenny Potter (Nicholas Hoult), koji je zainteresovan za profesora van odnosa student-profesor. Svaka stvar koju obavi i svaki susret koji mu se desi njemu izgleda posebno, shvatajući da je poslednji.
Film je nominovan za Zlatnog lava na Venecijanskom filmskom festivalu, a Colin Firth je dobio Coppa Volpi za najboljeg glumca. Dobio je takođe i nagradu BAFTA-a za najboljeg glumca. Firth je nominovan još i za Zlatni globus za najboljeg glumca u igranom filmu – drama, Nagradu udruženja filmskih glumaca za najboljeg glumca u glavnoj ulozi, kao i za Oscar za najboljeg glavnog glumca. Julianne Moore je nominovana za Zlatni globus za najbolju sporednu glumicu u igranom filmu. Abel Korzeniowski je nominovan za Zlatni globus za najbolju originalnu muziku. Film je, takođe, nominovan za Nagradu GLAAD-a za najbolji film.
A Single Man is a 2009 drama film based on the novel of the same name by Christopher Isherwood. It is the first film directed by Tom Ford. The film stars Colin Firth, who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of George Falconer, a depressed gay British university professor living in Southern California in 1962.
The film premiered on September 11, 2009, at the 66th Venice International Film Festival and went on the film festival circuit. After it screened at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival, The Weinstein Company picked it up for distribution in the United States and Germany. An initial limited run in the United States commenced on December 11, 2009, to qualify it for the 82nd Academy Awards with a wider release in early 2010.
Taking place over the course of a single day, November 30, 1962, a month after the Cuban missile crisis, A Single Man is the story of George Falconer (Colin Firth), a middle-aged English college professor living in Los Angeles. George dreams that he encounters the body of his longtime partner, Jim (Matthew Goode), at the scene of the car accident that took Jim’s life eight months earlier. After awakening, George delivers a voiceover discussing the pain and depression he has endured since Jim’s death and his intention to commit suicide that evening.
George receives a phone call from his dearest friend, Charley (Julianne Moore), who projects lightheartedness despite her being equally miserable. George goes about his day putting his affairs in order and focusing on the beauty of isolated events, believing he is seeing things for the last time. Throughout, there are flashbacks to George and Jim’s sixteen-year-long relationship.
During the school day George comes into contact with a student, Kenny Potter (Nicholas Hoult), who shows interest in George and disregards conventional boundaries of student-professor discussion. George also forms an unexpected connection with a Spanish male prostitute, Carlos (Jon Kortajarena). That evening George meets Charley for dinner. Though they initially reminisce and amuse themselves by dancing, Charley’s desire for a deeper relationship with George and her failure to understand his relationship with Jim angers George.
George goes to a bar and discovers that Kenny has followed him. They get a round of drinks, go skinny dipping, and then return to George’s house and continue drinking. George passes out and wakes up alone in bed with Kenny asleep in another room. George gets up and while watching Kenny discovers that he had fallen asleep holding George’s gun, taken from the desktop, to keep George from committing suicide. George locks the gun away and in a closing voiceover explains how he has rediscovered the ability “to feel, rather than think.” As he makes peace with his grief, George suffers a heart attack and dies.
- Director: Tom Ford
- Writers:Christopher IsherwoodTom FordDavid Scearce
- Runtime:99 minutes
- Actors:GeorgeColin FirthCharleyJulianne MooreKennyNicholas HoultJimMatthew GoodeCarlosJon KortajarenaAlvaPaulette LamoriJennifer StrunkRyan SimpkinsMrs. StrunkGinnifer GoodwinMr. StrunkTeddy SearsChristopher StrunkPaul Butler
- Languages:English, Spanish
- Plots: It’s November 30, 1962. Native Brit George Falconer, an English professor at a Los Angeles area college, is finding it difficult to cope with life. Jim, his personal partner of sixteen years, died in a car accident eight months earlier when he was visiting with family. Jim’s family were not going to tell George of the death or accident, let alone allow him to attend the funeral. This day, George has decided to get his affairs in order before he will commit suicide that evening. As he routinely and fastidiously prepares for the suicide and post suicide, George reminisces about his life with Jim. But George spends this day with various people, who see a man sadder than usual and who affect his own thoughts about what he is going to do. Those people include Carlos, a Spanish immigrant/aspiring actor/gigolo recently arrived in Los Angeles; Charley, his best friend who he knew from England, she who is a drama queen of a woman who romantically desires her best friend despite his sexual orientation; and Kenny Potter, one of his students, who seems to be curious about his professor beyond English class. Written by Huggo
On what he plans will be the last day of his life, George Falconer reflects on his past, particularly on the death of his partner of 16 years, Jim, who was killed in a car crash some months before. He’s decided to take his own life that evening and meticulously plans the event, hoping out loud that he can just make it through the day. He goes to his class, he’s a college English professor, and stops at the bank to collect his insurance policies and other documents from his safe deposit box. He then lays everything out on his desk, writing notes to friends and his housekeeper. He fondly recalls meeting Jim at the end of World War II and their subsequent life together. Now, in October 1962 with the Cuban missile crisis upon them, George lectures his class on fear. As the time approaches for him to end it all, one of his students wants to spend time with him and his friend Charley, who he’s known since his days in England, invites him for dinner where she obviously sees something is wrong. As the evening wears on, George reconsiders but fate intervenes. Written by garykmcd
- Also known as: Samac (Croatia – imdb display title), Samac (Serbia), Un hombre solo (Chile – imdb display title), Un hombre solo (Peru – imdb display title), Одинокий мужчина (Russia), A Single Man (France – imdb display title), A single man (Denmark – imdb display title), Direito de Amar (Brazil), Egy egyedülálló férfi (Hungary), En enda man (Sweden), Enas andras monos (Greece – transliterated ISO-LATIN-1 title), Sólo un hombre (Argentina), Samotny mezczyzna (Poland), Single Man (Japan – English title), Tek basina bir adam (Turkey – Turkish title), Um Homem Singular (Portugal), Un hombre soltero (Spain), Un homme au singulier (France – working title), Vientulais virs (Latvia – imdb display title),